Thursday 16 January 2014

Video Diary

Over the course of our filming, Nikita and I decided to make a video each day to reflect on how it went.

Day one:

Here, we reflected on how time consuming it was to film each shot three times in order or them to be masked. Also, it appeared to be really impractical that Nikita had to keep swapping outfits, but this is something we had to get used to if we wanted the masking shots to be done.

Day two:


The location we chose was not much of a problem, but the overall idea of shooting outside is one that I will not consider in the near future. I initially wanted to film outside because it suited the song and the image of the artist. Moreover, as my AS coursework was shot inside, I wanted to have a different experience when filming to see what challenges I would face and how I would overcome them. Being outdoors was definitely the biggest challenge in this coursework as it was cold and Nikita's outfits were not warm, It was really windy which overpowered the sound of the music and the singing on set and finally the light was constantly changing second by second which made it difficult as the the longer we were outside, the more the shots looked different because of the natural light. We mentioned a variety of shots here that we planned to use and did actually film. However, as we were outdoors and it was very uneven, the shots did not come out as we had hoped and unfortunately they could not be used. This put us as a disadvantage as the most creative shots that we intended to use could not be part of our video, limiting the movement shots we had planned with the dolly.

Day 3:

Having overcome all the negatives and the monotonous process of recording more than once per shot to be masked, I enjoyed the process of masking at the beginning. It was really interesting to use this technique as I was completely out of my comfort zone when preparing for it. I think it was the end product that gave me motivation to record all the extra footage as I knew that by doing something I had never done before, I was improving my skills in media.
Day 4:

It was at this point that we finished our filming and we were so glad that this stage was over, as we were ready to face the challenges of editing together our sequences.


No comments:

Post a Comment